:: Main Menu
:: Chess...
:: Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing News)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

:: Useful links
:: Random news

World Chess Cup 2007 - The City Of Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia

The World Chess Cup 2007 takes place in Khanty-Mansiysk (Russia) between 23-th of November and 18-th of December. There will be 7 rounds on a knock out elimination rule. Khanty-Mansiysk (Russia) is one of the modern and rapidly developing towns of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug.

Khanty-MansiyskIn 1637 the Samarovsky Yam was founded on the right bank of the Irtysh River not far from its falling into the Ob River. The settlement of Samarovo and then the town of Khanty-Mansiysk originated from that place. It was located in the picturesque place at the foot of steep mountains with the thick cedar forest growing on them. The first residents of Samarovo were 50 horse-drivers with their families moved from the Perm, Vologda and Olonetsky Regions. After them other emigrants moved to Samarovo. The population of Samarovo rapidly increased. In accordance with the revision of 1748 there were already 487 horse-drivers in the settlement except peasants. Besides horse-driving the inhabitants were engaged in fishing, hunting, stock-breeding. The inhabitants of Samarovo gathered "gifts of nature", gathered up to 10 ths. poods of cedar nuts. For winter the local population salted mushrooms, picked up berries.

After the appearance of steamship company the settlement got the broad development. In the 60s of the XIX century Samarovo turned into a big quay where ways of steamers of the Tyumen-Tomsk system and vessels of fishermen of the Ob and Irtysh Rivers crossed. It became a big trade center.

In 1912 in the settlement there were 398 men and 427 women. There were three chapels, a church, a parochial school, a reading-house, three inns, a grog shop, a tea house, 6 trade shops, post and public stations, a small blacksmith’s shop.

Revolutionary events of 1905-1907 got round Samarovo, even the news about the revolution came there rather late. In February of 1917 the news about the Tsar’s deposition achieved the Ob North, and after that Samarovo survived the change of local authorities and death of many people.

On December 10, 1930, the Presidium of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee adopted the Decree about the formation of the National Okrugs within the USSR. Among 8 National Okrugs there was the Ostyako-Vogulsky National Okrug. After its formation it became necessary to found the Okrug’s center where the Okrug’s institutions and organizations would be placed and function.

In July of 1930 the special commission was created to choose the place for the Okrug’s center construction. Projects of the Okrug’s center location in Oktyabrskoye and Surgut were abolished because the first one was situated too far from the Surgut and Konda Khanty and Mansi people, and the second was situated too far from the Beryezovo and Konda Khanty and Mansi people. The place on the bank of the Ob River near the mouth of the Irtysh was cut by deep ravines - that variant was abolished as well. Then the commission chose an outlandish place Bolshoi Cheryemushnik, located 5 km far to the North from Samarovo, behind the Samarovskaya Mountain.

There was an ancient Siberian taiga - a thick cedar forest there. In December of 1930 the first paths were cut in the taiga which defined streets and blocks. It was planned to construct 11 streets with the total length of 15 km.

In May of 1931 the first brigades of builders moved to the taiga and started to cut forest and prepare grounds for construction of buildings. The first building, constructed in the taiga, was the House of the Aboriginal. Then the House of Soviets (Administration Building), the building of the Okrug Militia Department, 7 dwelling-houses were founded.
In 1935 the road construction was developed in the Okrug center. The first tractor was received to stub up the road connecting Ostyako-Vogulsk with Samarovo. In 1938 the road was pebbled. In 1937-1941 the electric power station, a saw mill were put into operation in the settlement; in the southern part of Samarovo - mechanical shops. Air route Tyumen-Tobolsk-Samarovo-Beryezovo-Salekhard connected the Okrug center with other towns.

In March of 1936 the first elections to the local Soviet of Workers’ Deputies were held. It functioned till 1950.

In 1940 the settlement of Ostyako-Vogulsk was renamed and got the name of Khanty-Mansiysk, and in 1950 it gained the status of the town. Samarovo was joined to it. New houses grew, new streets appeared, enterprises developed in the town.

At present a little remind of those old days. The town is developing rapidly and is formed not only as a center of oil district, but is becoming a center of business activity, great sports, national culture.
Modern dwelling houses and administrative buildings, nice squares and streets, unique sports, cultural and educational facilities match to majestic nature of Siberia.

The town of Khanty-Mansiysk has its own unique features: it has a lot of plants and trees, it is surrounded by forests and a wandering band of the Irtysh River, it has its specific architecture. The small town has a great history and great perspectives. In some places forestry touches the dwelling districts, creating the original look of the town landscape.

Khanty-Mansiysk, placed in the place of junction of two great rivers Ob and Irtysh and on seven hills, covered with coniferous forest is a peculiarity which is attractive for tourists.

At present Khanty-Mansiysk is developing as a center of economy management of the vast territory and huge natural resources potential. Centers of information processing, communication centers, financial institutions of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug are concentrated there.

From 22 November 2007 till 18 December 2007 Khanty-Mansiysk will conduct World Chess Cup and welcome 128 chess players on the land of Ugra. berries.
FIDE finalized the format of the World Cup as follows: It will be the format of Knock-Out system : seven rounds of matches with two game each except the Last Round (the final match),which will include FOUR games. This decision was taken during WCCC meeting and approved on 18 July 2007 by FIDE President.
World Chess Cup 2007
In the first round 128 players.
In the second round 64 players.
In the third round32 players.
In the fourth round16 players.
In the fifth round8 players.
In the sixth round4 players.
In the seventh round2 players.

In September FIDE representatives had visited the capital of Ugra with the inspection of preparation process for Chess World Cup 2007 and the 38th Chess Olympiad 2010 witch also be in Khanty-Mansiysk.

World Chess Cup official web page: http://www.ugra-chess.ru/eng/main_e.htm
Live games: http://cup2007.fide.com/round.asp
Autonomous Okrug Ugra Official web page: http://www.hmao.wsnet.ru/english/index.htm
(9520 reads)

Other articles
2017/10/27 - Chess news and Blindfold Chess training (trainer) section
2009/9/27 - Bulgaria officially applied to host the WCC match between Topalov and Anand
2009/8/28 - Vladimir Kramnik won the Zurich Rapid Tournament
2009/8/25 - Vassily Ivanchuk won the FIDE Grand Prix tournament in Jermuk
2009/8/20 - FIDE Grand Prix Jermuk 2009 Round 9
2009/8/12 -
2009/8/11 -
2009/8/10 -
2009/8/4 - FIDE Grand Prix Tournament - Jermuk 2009
2009/7/23 - FIDE prefers Bulgaria to host the WCC match between Veselin Topalov and Vishvanatan Anand

The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.
Poster Thread
Add this page to social bookmarks
Add to: Del.icio.us Add to: Reddit Add to: Simpy Add to: StumbleUpon Add to: Slashdot Add to: Netscape Add to: Furl Add to: Technorati Add to: Newsvine Add to: magnolia Add to: Netvouz Add to: Digg
Ads by Google
Top News
Top Chess videos on En.ChessFish.com
:: Translate by Google
:: Search
:: Ad by Google